We are looking to hire a Controller responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting activities of The Community House Association (TCH) and The Community House Foundation (TCHF) including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash and bi-weekly payrolls. Also responsible for preparing monthly financial statements, preparing and implementing annual budget, overseeing annual audits, and responding to accounting needs of the companies. This position requires the highest level of confidentiality, discretion, accountability and teamwork.
Responsibility• Maintains the cash ledger in QuickBooks which includes daily recording of cash transactions, monitoring cash balance, processing bank deposits, reconciling departmental transfers, and recording credit card receipts.
• Maintains general ledger and chart of accounts.
• Prepares month-end journal entries and reviews and reconciles month-end asset and liability accounts.
• Prepares and distributes monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statements accurately and timely.
• Reviews and analyzes financial data and regularly communicates with President & CEO regarding status, concerns, and recommendations.
• Leads annual audit by preparing requested papers, reconciling accounts, and coordinating departmental audit requests.
• Directs preparation of annual budget process including providing department heads with appropriate information and combining departmental budgets to create organizational budgets.
• Oversees Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
• Administers bi-weekly Payroll for Association and Foundation.
• Processes monthly teacher payroll for Program instructors.
• Enters and maintains accurate accounting of Advance Deposits for Hospitality Operations.
• Processes cash banks as requested by departments according to proper procedures.
• Reconciles Sales Tax account and prepares payment for taxing authority.
• Responds to general accounting requests as needed.
• Prepares and presents financial reports to governing bodies as requested.
• Performs related duties as assigned by the President & CEO.
The Accounting team consists of the Controller and an Accounting Manager. The position requires occasional hands-on financial management and oversight of certain Association and Foundation Events/Initiatives which may require some evenings and/or weekends.
Qualifications• Minimum of bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent experience; CPA preferred.
• Nonprofit accounting experience required.
• 3-5 years of experience working in a full charge accounting role.
• QuickBooks Enterprise experience required.
• 1-2 years supervisory experience.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Payroll experience required; Paychex experience a plus.
• Excellent mathematical aptitude.
• Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Independent and innovative self-starter who displays an ability to learn quickly and adapt easily.
• Able to define problems and recommend appropriate solutions.
• Able to meet required deadlines.
• Able to keep employee, salary and other proprietary information confidential.